as well as more conventional fabrication facilities, both with staff support such as the Physics and Astronomy Student
Machine Shop but also self-serve labs, facilities, shops, and tools.
- Solidworks Download Link and Info
- Installation info – Go Metric, Be ISO! Set up shortcuts to work efficiently. Be happy.
- Browser based, free in its basic version and for personal use
- Sign up at https://www.onshape.com
List of other browser-based CAD offerings
- We have an OMAX Waterjet 2652 (2foot x 4foot workspace) located in Henning 219.
- OMAX Layout and Make software tools
- “OMAX Layout” and “OMAX Make” software is installed on the Waterjet PC.
- Ask Projectlab staff if you want to install the waterjet software on your own PC (WIN only).
- Fabrication costs: $1.50 per minute of cutting time.
- Click HERE for the waterjet wiki.
- We have the Versa Laser VLS 4.60. 24″ x 18″ workspace, 60W CO2 laser. Located in the Fabratory (ChemPhys A040).
- Instructions [PDF] on how to use the EngPhys laser cutter
- Check out these videos for laser cutter beginners, especially #5 and #6
- Short video showing the machine in action
- list of materials that can be cut (plastics that do not contain chlorine, wood, paper, cardboard) (no metal)
- Click HERE for the laser cutter wiki.
- We have Monoprice Select Mini Pro Printers that use PLA type filament for printing
- Video about how to use the Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printers
- Small objects (~1 cubic inch) print in 1-2 hours, larger ones can easily take 6 or 8 hours.
- Printing cost: $0.10 per gram. Free printing for capstone projects, pay when printing personal projects.
- Can’t do it yourself right now? See below, “outsourcing fabrication”
List of electronic components / leftovers from previous projects.
- Click this link to see the list.
Outsourcing – Sheet Metal Work, Waterjet and Laser Cutting of metals
- Thomas Register Search for laser cutting services
- Thomas Register Search for waterjet cutting services
Outsourcing – 3D printing and prototyping
- Shapeways 3D printing and selling of products
- Solid Concepts in California: 3D printing solid/flexible/color, casting, injection molding, FDM
- Ponoko (worldwide locations): 3D printing in many materials including metal, laser cutting
Outsourcing – PCB fabrication
- PCBway in China
- AP Circuits in Calgary, AB (Canada)
- Dyco Circuits in Richmond, B.C. (Canada)
- Proto Advantage in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
- PCB Cart in Hangzhou (China)
- PCB Universe in Vancouver, Washington (U.S.A.)
- Royal Circuit Solutions in Hollister, California (U.S.A.)
- Seeedstudio in Shenzhen (China)
- Sierra Circuits in Sunnyvale, California (U.S.A.)
- Smart Prototyping in Hong Kong (China) – these guys are also doing machining/3D printing
- Speedy PCB in Ottawa (Canada)
Stencils for Surface Mount PCBs
- Stencils Unlimited in Portland, OR (USA) for metal
- Ohararp in Ohio, USA for Kapton
- Pololu in Nevada, USA for Mylar
- Local vendors with storefronts: Lee’s Electronics| RP Electronics
- Newark InOne – General electronics supplier with some discounts for the EngPhys Project Lab.
- Spark Fun Electronics
- Robot Shop – Carries many SparkFun items, and Canadian means no brokerage fees.
Mechanical, Hardware, Materials
- McMaster-Carr (industrial supplies)
- 80/20 Extrusions and Components – a prototyping system based on extruded aluminum combined with fittings.
Local vendors with storefronts:
- Acklands-Grainger (industrial supplies)
- Industrial Plastics and Paint – Richmond BC (acrylic, polycarbonate, casting plastics supply)
- Metal Supermarkets – Richmond BC (metal stock in small quantities)
- Independent Speciality Steels in Delta, BC (special Materials)
Maker Labs & Community Work Spaces
End of page.